Sneak Peak of the Week:

Our company's Deputy Stage Manager, Jess Davey, gives us the low-down on life behind the curtain and all the hard work that goes into keeping the show ticking along...


So Jess, when did you decide you wanted to work in stage management and what kind of training or work has led you to this point? 
I decided I wanted to work in stage management from about 14 years old when I was supporting the work of my local theatre group up at the Edinburgh festival every year. My passion for stage management grew as I saw so many different types of performances, theatre companies and site specific work whilst up there (for example seeing a show that took place in a castle and one really interesting show taking place in 2 cars around driving Edinburgh!). I had an urge to know how it was all put together and who managed it all: who controlled the lights, how did the cast and set get to the festival, who was in charge of the show once in performance and how did the set go together...
I did 3 years at Rose Bruford college and got a 2:1 BA (Hons) in Stage Management. From there on I've been lucky enough to have worked solidly as a freelance Stage Manager.

What advice would you give to anyone looking to go into stage management?
I would advise them simply getting as much experience as they could. And to meet contacts as a lot of work in the production side of theatre is about who you know, and knowing when new projects are coming up. I would also advice that you work under a variety of managers and people with a knowledge to be patient and open minded to challenges.

How did you first come across Original Theatre Company?
I came across Original Theatre Company when replying to a job advert for an Assistant Stage Manager for a six month tour with two shows. I had never been on tour before, but I had managed three shows performing in rep previously. After looking into the company I applied for the role and began what was then my unknown world of touring.

What's been your highlight of the tour so far?
The highlight so far has been meeting Timberlake Wertenbaker. I had previously directed Our Country's Good for my A Level piece while at school - and was just a tiny bit star struck! Unluckily I was doing the get out for the show at the time, otherwise I would've loved to have talked to her about her show and what she thought of what we had done with her play.

What do you hate most about your job?
There are perks and down points of every job. Luckily my role involves a variety of responsibilities and challenges so I'm always kept on my toes - if there is something I don't enjoy I know I will be doing something different very soon. Saying that, laundry is not a enjoyable part of my role, or motivating a cast that might be tired from a long hard week (but then I find buying muffins and chocolates helps).

Can you give us an idea of what the day to day role of a DSM is?
No day for me is the same. It varies depending on if we are getting into a new venue that day to set up for a performance that night, or if I am coming in for a show call. Typically on a day we are getting into a new performance space I will be fitting the set into the venue (with a few bruises and cuts thrown in from having a set made out of timber), rigging the lights, setting up dressing rooms, laundry, maintenance of costumes, setting props, aiding the re-light of the show, going through the LX plot, teching the show with the cast, setting up sound, rigging the hazer and any other technical aspects of the show, cuing the performance and then taking myself to the pub! On a show day I can be setting up the show, arranging laundry if needed, maintenance, opening the house and cuing the show and pre-setting the show during the interval. Everything to keep you on your toes!

Are you bored of watching the play yet?!
After watching the show over 100 times there are moments that can get repetitive to watch. However, I get to see something different every time I see the show as it's never the same. Lots of moments are re-discovered by the cast, and those are the times it's great to watch your cast playing with what is already a brilliant show.

Do you have any other exciting work coming up after this?
Being a freelancer there are always opportunities that you can discover. There are a few opportunities that I would love to be a part of - but we'll see what happens. For now I'm enjoying looking after my cast and seeing the rest of the tour through til the end of April.

No comments:

Post a Comment